Mexican food is probably my favourite type of food in the world. So it’s a bit of a shame that I live in the UK where it’s pretty tough to find a decent Mexican restaurant, let alone the ingredients to make a meal at home. But this is a pretty tasty substitute when you want a quick meal.
This isn’t even really a recipe, or that authentically Mexican, but it does come in handy if you’re looking to whip up dinner in no time with whatever you’ve got in the kitchen!
Quick mexican wraps
- Tortilla wraps
- Sliced vegetables (peppers and red onions are my favourites, but mushrooms, carrots or even greens like spinach also work great)
- A carbohydrate (squash or sweet potato or some rice)
- A protein (black beans are fab if you can find ’em, or red kidney beans will do fine)
- Spices (about 1/2 tsp each ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne/chilli pepper, cinnamon, garlic powder, paprika (smoked and/or sweet) and oregano – if you don’t have all these spices don’t worry, just use what you’ve got)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (add 1-2 tbsp water if it catches on the pan)
- 1 fresh jalapeno or other chilli, finely chopped (optional) Or use chipotle flavouring if you can find some, chipotles are smoke-dried jalapenos which are starting to appear in UK supermarkets or you can ask anyone flying over from America to bring you some!
- Toppings of your choice: sour cream, lettuce, chopped tomato, ready-made salsa, avocado, jalapenos, hot sauce, spring onions, fresh lime juice, coriander etc.
- Dice the squash/sweet potato if using and soften with the spices and tomato paste in a frying pan or the oven. If using rice cook as per the instructions – I like to add a bit of chopped onion, chilli, spices and tomato paste to make a more mexican-style rice, or you could stir in some chopped coriander (cilantro) at the end.
- Add the vegetables to the squash/sweet potato pan and fry until soft.
- Add the drained beans when the the vegetables are almost done and heat through. Or you could serve the beans (and rice) on the side if you prefer.
- Assemble your wraps and disfruta!
(If you’re in the mood for something a bit fancier and Mexican-inspired, this recipe for squash, goats cheese and sweetcorn wraps is my current favourite!)
Enjoyed this post? Why not leave a comment or subscribe via email or RSS (see boxes on the right). Or find another post to read…